Kallikulam is a parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tuticorin. It comprises of five villages Kallikulam, Soundrapandiapuram, Rayappapuram, Vandalampadu, and Arulanandapuram. As the largest of the five villages which comprise the parish, Kallikulam gave its name to this extensive Roman Catholic parish.
As early as 1700 AD, people inhabited Kallikulam and formed small Christian community with the help of Jesuits. On 1771 a small thatched church was built. As catholic population increased, this church was enlarged by Fathers Martin and Mossette on 1838. The present day church was built on 1885. On 1910, St. Michael’s church was built. On 1920, St. Antony’s church was built.
Earlier Kallikulam had been a substation of Anaikarai parish. On 1885, it became an independent parish. According to historical records of 1914, Kallikulam had 16 substations. The first priest of this parish was Rev.Father Victor Delbak.
On 1926, Kizhavaneri one of the substations of Kallikulam became an independent parish with 7 substations (Pandarakulam, Achampadu, Anaikulam, Pudur, Pudukudiyiruppu, Arupuli, and Madapuram). On 26th June 1973, Duraikudiyiruppu another substation of Kallikulam became an independent parish with 5 substations.
On 1900 a church was constructed in Soundrapandiyapuram. The Patron Saint is St. Aloysius. On 1948 a church was constructed in Rayapparpuram. The Patron Saint is St. Peter. On 1932 a church was constructed in Arulanandapuram and the Patron Saint is St. Joseph. On 1976 a church was constructed in Vandalampadu and the Patron Saint is St. Joseph.
The current resident priest is Rev.Father. Antonydas and his assistant is Rev.Father. T.Amalan. These priests conduct religious service in all villages in the parish. Apart that they manage the schools and other educational institutions run by Jesuit.
So far 29 priests served in this parish. They are…
- Rev.Fr. Victor Delbak – 1885-1887
- Rev.Fr. Adaikalam – 1887-1889
- Rev.Fr. Martin Pamal – 1889-1891
- Rev.Fr. Peter Prune – 1891-1898
- Rev.Fr. Martin Pamal – 1898-1910
- Rev.Fr. Michael – 1910-1911
- Rev.Fr. Emelemas – 1912-1913
- Rev.Fr. Maria Arputhanathar – 1914
- Rev.Fr. Causannel – 1915-1922
- Rev.Fr. Arulsamy – 1922-1923
- Rev.Fr. Causannel – 1924-1928
- Rev.Fr. Swaminathar – 1928-1930
- Rev.Fr. Marianus – 1931-1940
- Rev.Fr. Maria Manickam – 1940-1944
- Rev.Fr. Payapalli – 1944-1959
- Rev.Fr. Stanislaus – 1959-1962
- Rev.Fr. Cruz Marian – 1962-1970
- Rev.Fr. Liguori Pancras – 1971
- Rev.Fr. Payapalli – 1971-1972
- Rev.Fr. Cruz Antony – 1972-1977
- Rev.Fr. Stanislaus – 1977-1984
- Rev.Fr. Mariadas – 1984-1989
- Rev.Fr. Devarajan – 1989-1994
- Rev.Fr. Barnabas – 1994-1998
- Rev.Fr. Joseph Christian – 1998-2000
- Rev.Fr. Xavier Arulraj – 2000-2001
- Rev.Fr. Segaran – 2001-2006
- Rev.Fr. Irudayaraja – 2006 -2009
- Rev.Fr. Antonydas – 2009 – 2014
- Rev.Fr. J.Johnsonraj – 2014 – Till Now
The Jesuits are the cornerstones of this Parish. They preserved the Catholic faith in this parish for centuries. Since 1700 AD, Jesuits are doing noble service to this parish and the people.